The Embedded system is a very familiar term for programmers. In recent times, when IoT is becoming more and more developed, Embedded system is being used more and more. So what is the Embedded systems? In the following article, BAP Software will help readers better understand this term and its practical application in the field of technology.
1. What is the Embedded System?
Embedded system is a system of software integrated into the computer’s hardware to form a separate system for many applications to operate. Embedded system can be a small stand-alone system or a large integrated system. These systems are supposed to perform work based on the principle of following certain rules according to a fixed plan.
2. Features of Embedded system
Embedded systems are becoming more and more popular. Here are some features of the Embedded system:
- Embedded system is made up of hardware and software, they operate on microprocessors and microcontrollers, which are integrated circuits that provide data for calculations.
- Embedded system works with sensors and computing time on IoT and Internet-connected devices without the user having to operate.
- Although running a lot of data, the embedded system has the advantage of consuming less power which helps to increase the battery life.
- Embedded systems require their memory and software to operate instead of using the computer’s secondary memory.
- Embedded systems are designed to perform separate functions, tailored to each specific situation, thereby saving resources.
- Embedded system features are built-in to the hardware to meet the needs of users.
3. Basic structure and operation process of embedded system
Embedded system is composed of several parts as follows:
– Hardware: Hardware is the part responsible for connecting data in an embedded system. It consists of integrated information circuits connecting the controller, power supply, LCD screen, etc.
– Software: Application software helps users to use applications operating on the Embedded system by converting the pre-installed code in the system.
– Real-time operating system (RTOS): RTOS monitors the performance of the Embedded system. The RTOS can be viewed as the part that oversees the coordination of hardware and software, allowing the processor to operate on a scheduling basis to track progress.
– Sensor: The sensor is responsible for measuring and converting physical signals into electrical signals so that any electronic device can understand this signal.
– AD Converter: This converter is capable of converting the data from the sensor into a digital signal.
– ASIC Processor: This processor evaluates data for storage in memory.
– DA converter: A digital converter that transfers data from an analog data bar processor.
– Actuator: This part compares the output from the DA converter with the actual output that has been stored and approved.
Embedded system works thanks to a CPU in the electronic device. Not only that, the Embedded system is managed by a microcontroller or differential processor (DSP), an application-specific integrated network, a programmable gateway network, GPU technology, and a gateway array. These components connect to components dedicated to handling the interface.
In the working mechanism of the Embedded system, the hardware stores internal memory, runs the data and connects to other devices by peripheral devices.
4. Relationship between IoT and Embedded system
First of all, to understand the importance of embedded systems in IoT, we need to know what is IoT. IoT or “Internet Of Things” refers to embedded systems that are interconnected with the internet.
Embedded system in IoT device acts as hardware, all IoT devices work based on Embedded system.
In other words, IoT is an environment that enables technologies to connect multiple devices, platforms, and networks. Thus, IoT creates a network of data exchange in a unique way. Embedded systems operated in IoT can help handle tasks efficiently and separately, thereby improving work efficiency in Embedded systems.
5. Some practical applications of Embedded system
Embedded systems are used in many different fields such as Medical, telecommunications, digital, consumer electronics, technology machinery, production equipment…
– In the field of automotive technology:
Embedded system is applied in engine control, travel tracking, airbag control, vehicle safety, E-com access support…
– In the consumer sector:
Embedded systems is applied in machines such as washing machines, wristwatches, remote video game consoles, etc.
– In the medical field:
Embedded systems are used in heart rate monitors, dialysis machines, pacemakers and many other applications.
– In the field of telecommunications:
Embedded systems used in wireless communication systems, computing systems. Thanks to the embedded system, wireless communication is much more efficient and fast.
– In the industrial sector:
Embedded systems support police traffic control, warehouse and goods management, and factory production monitoring.
Additionally, embedded systems are used in mobile payments, aerospace applications, network systems, and peripheral devices, as well as in televisions, computers, smart music players, microwave ovens, and GPS transmitters. In addition, the Embedded system helps develop several areas in the military field.
6. Professional Requirements with Embedded Developer
Currently, Embedded system is increasingly being applied in many fields. Therefore, the demand for human resources in this field is also increasing along with high professional requirements.
To become a good embedded system developer, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Firstly, you need to study and research knowledge related to C/C++ programming, and hone skills in using programming languages.
- Proficient use of control commands and familiarity with the configuration of software and hardware.
- Utilize tools like Perforce, SVN, and more to manage and develop software configurations.
- Improve management skills, and teamwork skills, constantly learn and update new knowledge about programming and information technology.
Thus, the Embedded system is a system that plays an extremely important role in the field of information technology. Embedded system not only have extremely efficient configuration and operation methods integrated with IoT but also have unique characteristics that can be applied in many industries.
Hopefully, with the knowledge that we share, you have a more detailed view of embedded systems.
We hope you will have a more detailed view of embedded systems with the knowledge that we share. If you have a demand for implementing all kinds of information technology services, please contact us immediately. BAP is always ready to advise and support you 24/7.